Thursday, October 24, 2019

Post 193 - Kona day 1 - Packing and departing

Day 1: Friday 4th October 2019 (and Thursday evening...!)

The Kona trip started with a rotten cold. I’d had a tough 3-week training block, as temperatures were starting to dip down into autumn. I’d created a lot of artificial heat in training, with saunas, hot baths, 5-6 hour indoor turbo trainer sessions with the heat going full blast, running with 3 coats on. Lots of sweat, lot of stress on the body, and just as the training block was coming to an end, the body said “enough” and came down with a cold. I had a week of tapering to shift it before travelling to Kona. And, just about in time, I did manage to shift it, with the help of inordinate amounts of garlic, ginger, chillis, lemsips, paracetamol, hot lemon water, anything I could think of.

Flu buster

With all the heat training, I was also putting a lot of stress on my boiler. As I was doing my last indoor turbo trainer session, the boiler/thermostat packed in. I shrugged. There was nothing I could do about it before the trip. I’d deal with it when I got back, and hope it wasn’t too cold…

Everything else was in place. All the travel arrangements. All the bits and pieces I’d need. All the food I’d need for the journey. All the new “tech” I’d bought – new phone and underwater camera and accessories. I’d even set up an Instagram account for people to see a few of my photos. Then all too soon the thinking and planning was over, departure day was looming, and I had to pack. I had a 25kg suitcase allowance, a 23kg bike allowance, and a 10kg hand luggage allowance. I followed my usual routine of piling everything on the bed and then getting it into cases.

My physio had lent me a bike box (“Bike Box Alan”, in my opinion the best bike box available), and I packed that first. I set it on the bed so I wouldn’t have to kneel and stretch over it. This worked really well. It took literally hours to dismantle the bike, secure it in place, pack things around it, weigh it, realise it was overweight, re-pack, re-weigh, re-pack and so on. Finally it weighed 23kg. Beyond the bike, a pump and my helmet, there was nothing else in the bike box, despite there being loads of room. The rest would have to squeeze into a suitcase and into hand luggage.

Eventually, after a 6-hour packing marathon, it was all done. 23kg plus 25kg plus 12kg plus another few kilos in a duty-free bag (a good trick to get some extra luggage is to carry a duty-free bag, as everyone is allowed a duty-free bag in addition to hand luggage). I wouldn’t be getting stung for any excess baggage charges. My luggage was heavier than me. I had to stretch out my back when it was all done. Then I went to bed, for an early start for the trip to Hawaii.

It looks so simple. It took so long...

I was ready to go. Plenty of people were already there in Hawaii, I was seeing plenty of photographs and chat online about all the goings-on, it looked fantastic, and I just wanted to be there. Forget the 2 days it would take to actually get there!


I'm not even a coffee drinker, but when you see pictures like these 
on social media from people already there, you just want to be there too

I had to call in a friend to give me a hand down the stairs with all of it. It turned out that the taxi driver had always wanted to do a triathlon. The gist of my message was, “What’s stopping you?!” He agreed he would sign up for a race in the new year, and asked me to put a reminder on his phone as we were driving.

Check-in was busy but went fine. Hopefully I’d see the bike again in Los Angeles… Getting onto the small plane for the first flight to Dublin, I saw my bike being loaded. Great. I had been worried there might not be room. I had chosen to take an earlier flight to Dublin, which I was glad about when I arrived to USA immigration pre-clearance at Dublin airport. Crazy queues. 

The orange thing is the bike box...

Pre-clearance took ages. Once you’re in the queue, you can’t leave it, especially as a solo traveller. So by the time I got to the front of the queue, I was bursting for the toilet. I noticed a sign. No fruit, no vegetables, no nuts allowed beyond this point. You weren’t allowed to bring any of those things into the USA. Once I passed immigration pre-clearance, I was effectively in the USA.

And guess what, my hand luggage was full of fruit and nuts for the journey, perfectly packed into Tupperware boxes to protect it. Should I just say nothing? I remembered travelling to New Zealand from Sydney and seeing similar warnings. On arrival, a sniffer dog went mad at my hand luggage. There was no food in it, but this particular bag had contained my lunch every day for something like 6 months in Sydney.

Better not to risk it here then, and so I told the USA immigration officer that I had a few bits of fruit and some nuts. “Put it on the desk,” he said. I was already very shifty from trying not to wet myself.  Now I had to declare what was basically illegal hazardous contraband. His face was quite a picture as I tipped out about 14 pieces of fruit and 10 bags of nuts. I hoped he would just laugh and wave me through. I needed this stuff. A 12-hour flight to Los Angeles, a night at the airport motel, and a 6-hour flight to Hawaii. I was going to be hungry. “You gotta bin ‘em all, now…” He meant business. No arguments.

What a waste. Worse, on the far side of pre-clearance, facilities were minimal so I couldn’t really replace any of it. I spent about 20 euros on a couple of sandwiches and pastries and then boarded for LA. I asked the cabin crew what chance there was of an upgrade (smile smile nod nod wink wink). Answer: no chance, sorry. But, to pass the time, I had a great book: “Iron War”, about the 1989 Ironman world championship, when Dave Scott and Mark Allen did the entire race side-by-side, neither giving an inch, until the final mile or two, when Mark Allen finally broke away and took the win. A great read. A great story. A great way to learn about the race and its history. Maybe I’d meet the two protagonists in Kona and get them to sign the book…

Great reading

Almost 400 pages later and I was in LA. In addition to 400 pages, I also consumed 3 in-flight meals, a load of water, walked loads of laps of the cabin, did plenty of stretching, and watched zero in-flight TV. I had a very understanding German-American lady beside me. So understanding was she, that she actually asked for my second in-flight meal on my behalf. She also advised me on the best way to get to my airport motel (via the free car-rental shuttle bus).

With the jet-lag, early evening in LA felt like late at night to me, and I was very tired. My bike arrived unscathed. Had it not arrived, Aer Lingus’ liability for it would have ended with simply getting it to LA on a following flight. Because my LA to Kona ticket was a separate ticket, they would have had no liability for getting it to Hawaii, so if it hadn’t arrived to LA, I’d have had to miss my Hawaii flight to wait for it. Or try to get Steve and Natalie to pick it up and bring it with them a couple of days later (two of my best friends, travelling out for a belated honeymoon to watch me at the Ironman world championships, as you do…)

Sure enough, the shuttle bus got me to within a 5-minute walk of the motel. It was right under the flight path, but I had my earplugs and I went straight to bed. I’d be up early enough the next day for the final flight to Kona…

No comments:

Post a Comment