Saturday, October 19, 2019

Post 192 - Kona race summary

It is all over. Kona 2019. What a trip. What a race. Worth everything over the last ten years.

I had hoped to get under 10 hours. The swim was very salty. I swam 62 minutes. It felt like a lot longer, but was actually slightly quicker than I'd hoped to do. I didn't have a great first transition - it was bedlam in the changing tent.

I biked 5:24. Around 10 minutes slower than I'd hoped. The first 20 miles were great, then the winds got up and they were ferocious. I got off the bike knowing I'd need a 3:20 run to break 10. I went for it. Held on until about 20 miles. It was so hot.

Then after exiting the Energy Lab section, there was a headwind for 5 miles on the run for home, and my pace dropped. I ran 3:27. Fractionally faster than I'd thought I would run, but not quite fast enough.

I finished in 10:05. I couldn't have done more. It was a tough day. You go to Hawaii to be tested. To get it tough. We were certainly tested on race day and we certainly got it tough.

It will take me ages to write proper blog posts to justify the whole trip. But I'll do it...

For now, aloha and mahalo.






No comments:

Post a Comment