Monday, July 28, 2014

Post 36 - Ironman UK dissection

It’s 8 days after Ironman UK. What a nightmare it turned out to be. I thought it would be a good day. A great day. I had worked hard enough for it. I was in shape to qualify. Training had gone as well as it could have been expected to go, given my circumstances. I was really pleased, until I had that massage and ended up in hospital. The three weeks from having the massage, going to hospital, being in a very bad way, trying to recover, agonising over whether or not to start the race, travelling up to Bolton for the race weekend, racing and ultimately pulling out were a total nightmare, and I’m so glad and relieved it’s over, and disappointed with how it turned out.

I knew when I was in hospital that my Kona chances were severely diminished, but I having talked with quite a few experts, I finally arrived at the decision that it was worth starting to see if I had the performance in me. That way, there would be no “what-ifs”. Before I got sick, I’d have said that I had a really good chance of qualifying. I would never be complacent, but I knew I was in great shape. After getting sick, I knew that there wasn’t much chance. That’s nothing to do with doubting my physical or mental capacities, but if medically I am unable to perform, no amount of prior physical fitness or mental toughness can return those lost percentages. It needs time and patience. To qualify for Kona, everything needs to be perfect, or as near as dammit, and I knew things were a long way off perfect.

The Saturday at Ironman UK is a logistical nightmare. There is so much driving and setting up to do. The key areas (start/T1, T2, finish area) are all miles apart and it takes ages to set up. Plus, the new bike course had to be driven and viewed. So Saturday wasn’t a fun, feet-up type of day.
Bags in T1
 
 
Race morning stuff, for the swim and bike
 
 
Herded in...

Anyway, race morning came, and it all felt so surreal, like it wasn’t really happening. To be honest, I was crapping myself. Scared of it. I got in the water and swam my first lap. I kept away off to one side and out of the scrum. I felt OK on the first lap, and when I exited the water for the first time I had a glance at my watch. It said 28-something. Last year at halfway through the swim it said 27-something, so my initial reaction after half the swim was “not too bad”. I continued to swim at the same effort level, thinking I’d finish the swim in 57 or 58 minutes. Last year I did 55. It started to drag a bit, my goggles leaked a bit, sighting became difficult, and when I got out of the water and completed the swim, my watch said 61. Bummer. Not what I wanted. Again, I didn’t feel terrible, I felt I had put in a decent effort, but I just didn’t get back the speed that I normally would if I was 100%. 61 minutes was a poor swim. I was 6 minutes down on last year after only an hour.

If my physical sharpness was down, so was my mental sharpness. I did things in the wrong order in transition. I took my goggles off before trying to get my wetsuit off. Normally you would leave them on your head, but I was struggling to get out of my wetsuit with my goggles in my hand. Silly. I finally got out of my wetsuit and struggled into my tight bike jersey and got out onto the bike.
 
Swim start scrum
 

Come off!

At this point, I got a first look at my heart rate. Normally a few minutes in transition would bring it down, and I was hoping it would be 130 or so. It was 165. Really high. It took about 30 minutes of very easy cycling to bring it down to 150. And that was the story of the bike – I had to cycle easier than I wanted to maintain a suitable heart rate. If I tried to go at the speed I wanted to, the heart rate would climb. So again, I wasn’t getting back the speed that my effort would normally get me. I soldiered on, kept eating and drinking, and it was a tough cycle.

Last year it was a 3-lap route with one major climb on each lap. Three climbs in total. This year it was a 2-lap route on tighter, twistier, bumpier roads. With loads more climbing. And wind too. No chance of getting into any kind of a rhythm. The absolute antithesis of the Icknield 100 mile time trial. I had some words with a Belgian guy who was sitting in my slipstream on a really exposed part of the course. My heart rate was over 170 going into a strong headwind. It was tough. I could sense someone sitting on my wheel, getting a free ride. Drafting/slipstreaming is illegal in Ironman races, and should result in disqualification. Ironman UK was not particularly well marshalled.

He was on my wheel for long enough to get me annoyed. At the same time as I dropped back to give him an earful, an English competitor started telling him to ride his own race. I told him to get off my wheel and stop cheating. He seemed to plead ignorance, but dropped off. A few miles later, he came past me. “Hey crazy Irish guy, you are f*cking crazy….” The English guy was still in the vicinity and between the two of us we told him to respect the rules. He kept arguing, claiming the roads were too tight and there were too many cyclists around to keep the required 10 metre distance. This was total rubbish, as we had been on the widest and most open part of the course when he was doing his wheelsucking. My heart rate was spiking with all the chit-chat, so I decided not to waste any more energy on him. I just gave him a growl and rode off.
 

 

Going up Sheephouse Lane (the main climb) for the second time, I had reeled in the female pros. I went up side by side with Joanna Carritt, and we rode together over a massive cock-a-doodle-doo someone had painted on the road, in obvious defiance of the pre-race warnings: “Do not mark the road, you will be prosecuted.” Joanna and I looked at it, and laughed, and she said, “Nothing like a massive knob to inspire you!” And with that, she took her inspiration and off she went. For the remaining ten minutes of the climb, she must have taken about two minutes out of me. Who needs names painted on the road, when a big cock-a-doodle-doo makes you climb like she did…?!

And so the ride passed in a haze of mediocrity. The final big climb at 95 miles or so was an absolute killer. It kicked up to a 17% gradient, which I went up at about 5mph. Painful. It was a much tougher bike course that last year, and comparable to the Ironman Wales bike course for toughness. I finished in 5:39. I had been hoping for something like 5:20. Bummer.

I really screwed up T2. I didn’t loosen my shoes coming into transition. In the transition tent, I forgot where I had hung my T2 bike-to-run bag. Then I forgot what number I was. Then the marshal could see I was totally lost in a sea of red bags, and asked me what my number was. And I told her the wrong number, and lifted the wrong bag. Then she saw my number on my back, and I finally got the right bag. Then I proceeded to put my run top on inside out. I don’t know how I managed this. Then I ran off leaving my sunglasses on the chair in the tent, and thankfully the marshal yelled after me, and I picked them up. There was a horrible hill on the first half-mile up to the main course, then after that I actually felt that I was running reasonably well.
 
 

However, given that I was between the second and third female pros, and given that I’d had such a mediocre race, I guessed I was some way off where I needed to be to qualify for Kona. I’d have guessed I was in the top twenty in my age group at that stage. Maybe top 50 or 60 overall. Still in the top 3% overall, but a long way off what I needed for Kona. After a few miles, I felt I had it in me to finish, and probably to finish pretty well, but I knew I wasn’t going to run a sub-3 hour marathon to get me to Kona. When I got onto the looped part of the course, I could see runners heading back into town when I was still heading out to the turn. I could tell by their race numbers what age group they were in, and this confirmed that there was no way I was going to qualify. There were too many of them ahead of me.  

I had pretty much realised on the bike and swim that today wasn’t going to be my day. There’s no way my level of output was good enough to qualify. So I made the decision to call it a day. I wouldn’t call it giving up. I would call it keeping an eye on the bigger picture and thinking about my future options. There was no point in destroying my legs for 26 miles of a marathon. I had been thinking about Ironman Wales, 2 months away. If I was to enter Wales, hopefully with the infection and illness well and truly behind me, then running the full marathon in Bolton wouldn’t have been a good idea. Only having run 10 miles of the marathon will mean I won’t need much recovery time, and this will be better for my Wales preparation.

I wasn’t too disappointed in calling it a day. I’d already suffered the emotions in hospital. I’d had quite a few people travel long distances to this race to support me and I was disappointed for them – my parents, Elise, Steve, Natalie and Kim. Particular thanks to Elise who endured the entire awful race weekend, all the driving, and all the annoying stressful details. It should have been such a good day, but things just didn’t work out. For the third race in a row, I’ve had Kona within reach and it has been derailed.
 
Ugh

I went to the medical tent and had a full check-up, including an electrocardiogram. I was given the all-clear. By this stage, the first finishers were starting to come through. I saw the first 3 finishers in my age group come through within a minute of each other, in 9:45. I didn’t feel that 9:45 would have been beyond me on a better day. But none of this matters. All that matters is that I didn’t/couldn’t perform at Bolton. Which means that I won’t be going to Hawaii in October 2014.
 
The elusive finish
 
Bikes in T2
 
So yes, I’ve entered Ironman Wales, on 14th September. It’s probably the toughest Ironman in the world. I did it last year and was one position off qualifying. I will battle jellyfish, cold rough seas, obscene hills, bumpy roads, wind and rain (probably), cobblestones, lonely roads, and endless miles, and I’ll try again to qualify for Kona. I still believe I can do it. I hope I will be better recovered. I will know the course in Wales this time, unlike last year. Logistically, Wales is much easier. If I qualify at Wales, I’ll be going to Hawaii in October 2015. I don’t know where I’ll be based in October 2015. I might be in London, I might be in South Korea with work, or I might be elsewhere. However, it looks like I will get an unbroken 6 or 7 weeks until Wales, and I’ll deal with the consequences of what happens in Wales when Wales is over.

It’s a tough gig, this Ironman business… You fight and fight and try and try and put so much in, and you can just be dealt the most ridiculous curveballs that can totally derail everything. But, you can also dust yourself down and try again…

No comments:

Post a Comment