Friday, July 18, 2014

Post 33 - Decision

So, I am racing on Sunday. I'm at the race venue now. I have registered. I've got my race number, swim hat, bike stickers, official programme, and so on. It was a long drive from London to Bolton. The roads were really congested. It was a roasting hot day. Storms are forecast tomorrow but race day should be OK.

I'm not particularly happy about racing, but equally I wouldn't be particularly happy about not racing either. If I didn't race, I'd never know. If I do race, I won't fulfil my potential, regardless of how I do, and I also don't want to do any long-term damage, or end up collapsing or something.

But, I've done a few sharp training sessions in the last week, and they have seemed OK. When I'm not training, my heart rate has been a bit elevated and has been fluctuating, and I've also had a sore head. Stress is probably not helping, as it has been a stressful time since my hospital stay.

A couple of days ago I was medically checked out and I've been told that everything seems normal - chest, lungs, blood pressure, heartbeat and so on. So, I'm going to give the race a go, and I'll be monitoring my heart rate and my body really carefully, and if it doesn't seem right, then I will pull out of the race, and be on the safe side. Hopefully I will live to fight another day if this happens, most likely in Wales in September.


Sleep time now...

No comments:

Post a Comment