Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Post 29 - Bad days

Apart  from  the back pain I experienced earlier in the year, I've had a pretty trouble-free few months. Yes, I've had the stresses and challenges of business trips, commuting, full-time work, avoiding illness and injury, but I've managed everything pretty well, and done everything in my power to maximise my athletic ability and minimise my chances of illness and injury. I've got 2 and a half weeks to go until race day. I was really pleased with how it all had been going, and I had high targets for Ironman UK.

On Monday, the day following my massage, my legs were very irritated. The irritation got worse and worse as the day went  on. I went to bed early on Monday night, planning on getting at least 10 hours  of sleep. I didn't sleep at all. My legs were really flaring up, oozing pus and blood. My body was obviously very depleted in trying to fight this, and combined with an on-edge immune system, has led to a very sore head as well as feeling pukey.

I tried a few different creams, ended up being referred by a pharmacist for an emergency doctor's appointment, and from there I have ended up at hospital. What a nightmare. So I'm sitting in the Urgent Care Unit facing a wait of an indeterminate number of hours.

The massage helped my muscles, but my legs have basically turned septic, and in my depleted state, at maximum peak fitness (and maximum immune system susceptibility to anything), this has caused all sorts to kick off in my body - splitting headaches, hot sweats, cold shivers, and an awful feeling of weakness. Maybe a virus has been stirred up, or the flushing out and circulation of muscle toxins/lactic acid has been too much for my body to deal with, or maybe I've caught a bug. I'm gutted.

I'll do the best I can to get through it, but it's something I really could do without....


No comments:

Post a Comment