Monday, May 27, 2019

Post 176 - Ironman training week 5

After an easier week, I was (perversely) itching to get back at the hard training. There's not a great deal of time left before the Ironman, as I'm doing a much shorter build-up this year, so I want to get on with it, but at the same time I need to be mindful that I don't do too much too soon...

Monday 20th May 2019:
Rest day. Can't remember what I did but I'm sure I did very little.

Tuesday:
Turbo tempo. The weather wasn't great so I was on the turbo. I've done quite a few intervals but not many out-and-out continuous efforts. I read that the hour-long time-trial efforts are of benefit when training for and racing Ironman triathlons, so I did a good 15-minute warm-up, 70 minutes hard, and then 15 minutes to cool down. 265 watts for 158bpm. Not bad, probably could have pushed harder but it's a balance between pushing hard and being able to recover, and pushing too hard which means the entire rest of the week suffers. Decent session. Stretching and core work and squatting afterwards.

The weight is starting to fall off...

Wednesday:
Hilly tempo run. 10 miles in 63 minutes. I could run 10 miles in 53 or maybe 52 minutes with a couple of months of specific training, but that's not what the target is. My legs felt a bit knackered after this, I don't ever remember racing 10 miles flat out and being this tired. But then again, I taper for my races, rather than doing a hard 70 minute bike the day before... weights and squatting afterwards.

Thursday:
Had an early finish at work, threw together a plan with Kev to do an easy cycle in East Lothian and get the train home. Cycling eastbound with a tailwind was great, it meant it was indeed an easy 3-hour cycle, very scenic, very enjoyable.

Cyclists always look cool

East Lothian roads




Tantallon castle

The North Berwick Law ("Law" is what they call "hill")

Train home

Was hungry afterwards, went to the shop, got the evening discounts - two tubs of fruit and a meal deal tub of chicken, broccoli and couscous, got the train back, cycled 2-3 miles back to the flat, by then it was freezing. Ate dinner and went to bed.

Friday:
Went to the podiatrist. Not sure how much benefit I am getting for my £34-for-15-minute-sessions, but I get the callouses on my feet hacked off and get told to buy various creams and files and plasters and covers. Hopefully doing some good and hopefully will prevent horrendous pain in the ironman marathon. Finished work. Work has been tough and very busy recently. Really needed a rest and a switch-off. But that's not really an option. Straight to the pool and did 3500 yards, doing all sorts of tortuous drills with tortuous-looking rubber bands and hand paddles and other swim "toys..." Didn't bother with the sauna as this would take an extra 20 minutes which would be better spent sleeping...

Saturday:
Poor weather again meant a long turbo. 5 hours and 40 minutes. I had bought some "turbo fodder" in the charity shop recently - a pile of DVDs, so I got through a couple. Did strength and speed work. Every hour I was doing 2 x 3 minutes at low cadence and high power for strength, and 2 x 3 minutes at high cadence and high power for speed. Fine for three hours, legs getting tired after four, goosed after five... also tried a very concentrated mix of Tailwind nutrition mixed with water. It didn't work too well, it was too concentrated and I felt pukey at the end and a bit sick the rest of the day. Will try less a concentrated mix the next time. Stretched and did core work and squatting.

Sunday:
Long run day. The face says it all. I hate long runs.


Waited for the worst of the rain to pass. Was overdressed, especially when it warmed up. Sweated a lot, got a sore head. Did 4 hills to mimic the Ironman UK run course. 18 miles in 2:13 at 7:23 per mile and around 140bpm. I don't know how people can run marathons in 2:30. People I would beat at 5k and 10k races can run such 2:30 marathons. It's incredible. I was extremely tired after this run. Flopped on the sofa and spaced out and ate and ate and drank and drank and had to force myself to finish the week with weights and squatting. Another week done. I was quite dehydrated and had a sore head for the rest of the day, but if that's the worst of the week, I'll take it,

I had a look at my bike position. I'm happy with the more upright position now when I'm on the base bars, it allows me to stretch out a bit, but I need to lower the aero bars a little to make myself a bit more aerodynamic when I'm in the aero position.

Agressive aero

Moderately aero

Upright

More upright

Extremely upright when your back is absolutely ruined

My very sore right foot, which was really concerning me, seems to have eased, so that's a big plus. My left hip still hurts, but it's not an immediate concern. In the long run it could turn into a concern but it's not so acute as to make me think it'll give problems in the next couple of months - I hope not anyway...

Training done was as follows:

Swim 3.2km, Cycle 190 miles, Run 29 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment