Saturday, November 21, 2015

Post 104 - NI

I went back to Northern Ireland last weekend, for a long weekend. Packing takes time and effort and careful planning when you’ve got three sports to cater for, when everything has to fit into a hand-luggage bag. Fortunately I’ve got a bike, helmet, multi-tool, mini-pump and spare tubes at home but I brought the following: swimming shorts, goggles, hat, earplugs, flip flops, rubber band, cycling shorts, cycling tights, a couple of cycling tops, a waterproof, gloves, a hat, eyewear, 3 bike frame bags, bike computer, bike computer mount, water bottles, bike shoes, waterproof shoe covers, bike socks, running shoes, running socks, running shorts, running tights, a couple of running tops, club vest and tracksuit top, tracksuit bottoms, cross-country spikes. Plus whatever else I might need – I suppose I could walk around the house in bike shoes, swimming shorts and a lycra top, but it wouldn’t be very comfortable…

I planned to do a cross-country race on the Saturday – the McConnell shield, held in Ballyclare. I ran it last year. I’ve never planned this to be a race where I’d be at a good level of fitness – I haven’t been doing much hard training since September, but I need to start somewhere on the road back to fitness, and this cross-country race would at least give me a decent run-out with the club. I had planned to do a short bike ride on the Friday, race on Saturday, another longer bike ride on the Sunday and a swim on the Monday.

Friday’s bike ride probably didn’t do me any good for the run on Saturday. Even though I only took it easy, it was still 2 hours of effort in the legs, and sometimes I just can’t help myself and I go hard. I chased a learner driver along the coast road for a few miles at 30mph. I hammered a few hills. I also took some photos of nice scenery. The day got better as the day wore on, the sky got bluer and the sea got bluer and the rivers got bluer too.










Really, I should have sat at home with my feet up to prepare for the race the following day, but I knew my level at the race was going to be bad, so why not go out and enjoy a bike ride the day before…

I know that this winter has been a lot worse than last winter for training. I’ve put on more weight. Last winter, I never had to wear my winter trousers (i.e. trousers with a bigger waist). This winter, it wasn’t long after the triathlon season that I had to dig them out of the wardrobe. I haven’t done as much training this winter compared with last winter. I know I am not fit. But saying that, I haven’t done nothing, so I should be able to get round a cross-country race.

It was good to catch up with people from the club at the race. The route was 5 laps of a park, totalling 5 miles. It was quite a warm day, underfoot conditions weren’t bad. I had a shocker of a run. Nothing there whatsoever. My first lap was 5:40 and after that I went backwards. Guys streaming past. Nothing in the legs. No strength. Not a good feeling. Plodding, basically. But I’ve been on a break from tough training, so I didn’t really expect any better. Runners who race regularly usually know their level and who they should be running alongside, who they should be targeting in a race. Last year at this race, I was 70 seconds behind a clubmate. This year I was 2 minutes 30 seconds away behind him. We finished a few seconds apart at the Northern Ireland/Ulster cross-country championships in February this year. Hmmm. Work to do. In the end, the club won the McConnell shield, with the top 4 finishers in each club contributing to the points total - the club with the lowest total wins they day. Needless to say, I wasn't in the top 4 finishers for the club. Hmmmm. Work to do.




Not for the first time I wondered what level I might be running at if I had given all my time and effort in the last 3 years to running rather than to Ironman. I still have aspirations in running, but I’m not getting any younger and I hope that when I call time on my Ironman career (sooner rather than later) I will still have the speed and motivation to meet and exceed my running aspirations.

For now, I hope to get to a half-decent level of fitness for a couple of Christmas races, and then to crack on and get to a good level of fitness for the Northern Ireland/Ulster cross country championships in February next year.

The forecast for the rest of the weekend was terrible. Sunday saw a very wet and windy bike ride and a major clean-up operation of the bike, bike shoes and cross-country spikes. Monday saw a short swim. I ate anything and everything. Massive dinners, burgers, desserts, a couple of pints. Same as the past 2 months really. It’s not like my diet has been especially bad, but it has definitely slipped compared to how good it was for the first 9 months of the year. There’s a saying: crap in, crap out. It’s true: low training and a mediocre diet = inability to run to potential. Need to sort this out…

No comments:

Post a Comment