Saturday, September 13, 2014

Post 43 - The night before Ironman Wales

And so this is it. The night before the triathlon season ends. In 23 hours, one way or another, I'll be done with Ironman Wales 2014. I'm number 533, you can follow me on Ironman Live Athlete Tracking (look it up on google).

I am not in bad shape, fitness-wise. The weather forecast is good. Everything is set up and ready. But I have no idea how this knee is going to hold up. There is a 2km run from the swim exit on the beach, up the cliff path, through the town and to the main transition area. I might get out of the swim and not even be able to run up the cliff path. I might not be able to pedal the bike. It might really flare up halfway through the bike. I might do a decent bike and be unable to run the marathon. Or I might finish well and even qualify for Kona. I have no idea. I'm totally winging it.

I've rested and iced and nurofenned my knee as much as possible this week. I went and had it taped up today. And for good measure, I had both of them taped. I thought it would be my left knee, not my right knee that gave me problems. It's a terrible feeling to have zero confidence in my body. Everyone is saying "you can do it", "think of that finish line", "think positive", but realistically, with the best will in the world, if I physically cannot pedal or run, then no amount of strong willpower or positive thinking can help.

As shown in the photographs below, there are scary jellyfish to contend with. There are rumours of a protest. There are dodgy knees with rainbow tape. Also, there is a tough, tough course. I've no idea how it is going to go. I will do the best that my body allows me to do. And let's see.

Also below is the awesome view from the hotel room, overlooking the transition area.


 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment