Sunday, June 22, 2014

Post 27 - The shortest and the longest


Training done this week was as follows:

Monday 16th June 2014: Rest
Tuesday 17th June 2014: 1:10 turbo (1 hour hard), 20 minute run
Wed 18th June 2014: 1 hour turbo (single leg drills: 2 x 10mins left/right), 30 minute fartlek run
Thurs 19th June 2014: 2 hour turbo (pyramid intervals), 20 minute run
Friday 20th June 2014: Swim 4km (approx 65 minutes, 1:37/100m)
Saturday 21st June 2014: Swim 3.3km (250/500 normal/drills)
Sunday 22nd June 2014: Weights, 3:40 turbo, 2:10 run

Totals: Swim 7.3km, Bike 170 miles, Run 27 miles

This was the second week of another tough 2-week training block. After my long run last Sunday, I developed a sore toenail, so in the earlier part of this week I eased back on my running to give it a chance to recover. I still intended to train hard this week, and assuming my toenail didn't restrict me, I intended to do a "mini taper" towards the end of the week, followed by a "metric Ironman" on Sunday.

A metric Ironman is a 112km (70 mile) bike ride (on the turbo trainer of course), followed by a 26.2km (16.3 mile) run, as opposed to a "normal Ironman" of 112 miles on the bike and 26.2 miles of running. It's totally unfeasible to do a full Ironman in training as it would take far too long to recover from. Ideally the metric Ironman would be preceded by a swim, but logistically it is very difficult to do this, so I intended to do a weights session immediately before getting on the bike.

Training in the early part of the week went well, and I cut back on my running distances a little. This helped my toenail, and by the end of the week it felt good enough to try to do the long run. During the week I spent two days at a business/work course in Westminster, which was a break from the regular routine. This break from routine had its good and bad points, and I made sure that on both days my backpack was loaded with fruit and bottled water, in addition to the notebooks, documentation and other course material. The 45-minute lunch breaks allowed me to have a little wander in St James's Park in the sunshine, where I saw this cyclist:



Because I needed to do a mini-taper before the metric Ironman, my training routine was compromised a bit, and I swam two days in a row on Friday and Saturday. These swims were my taper as I didn't cycle or run on either of these swim days. I had a lane to myself on Friday, and was in the water at 2:55pm. I knew that there were lessons at 4pm, so my swims on Friday always finish at 4pm. I decided I would just swim at a reasonably hard pace and see how far I got in 65 minutes.  

I started off at an easy pace. Pacing is so important in races, particularly in long-distance races. Starting "slowly" and easing my way into a race, or into each discipline in a triathlon, is the best way to be strong and deliver the best results. So, I felt strong right through this swim, and completed 4km in 65 minutes, still feeling fresh. I was pleased with this, and had averaged about 1:37/100m. Seven seconds make a big difference: when I am doing my critical swim speed intervals, my target pace is 1:30/100m, and after only 2km of intervals I am totally knackered and wrecked. There's a fine line between going too hard and going at a good, sustainable, strong pace.

Saturday 21st June was the summer solstice, the longest day. Back in Northern Ireland, it's bright until about 11pm, here in London it's dark by 10pm. Saturday 21st June was also my "shortest day": I went to bed at 10:30pm on Friday evening and got up at 12:20pm on Saturday 21st June. On this longest day I rested as much as possible, tried to stay off my feet, did a swim, and went to bed at 10pm. There were 18 hours of daylight, and I was up and awake for about 10 of them. Such is the Ironman life, and need for sleep...!

Sunday 22nd June was a different matter. Training-wise, this was my "longest day". Metric Ironman day. A metric Ironman is seen as a good session to do in the run-up to race day. I'm 4 weeks away from race day, so it was now or never. I thought my toenail would be OK, but I taped it up just in case. I got up at 8am, and by the time I had eaten breakfast, got my drinks and gels/bars ready, stretched, done my weights, and got on the bike, it was 10:30am.

I did 3:40 on the bike, with 3 x 10 minutes of very high resistance every hour. This was to simulate the hills I'll have to climb on race day. I eased into it, as with the swim two days ago. While on the turbo, I watched "Chasing Legends", an absolutely brilliant documentary about the Tour de France. It's well worth a watch, even for someone with little or no interest in cycling. Totally gripping and spellbinding. It's on YouTube, it's just over 90 minutes long. Great show.

Chasing Legends on the turbo, in more ways than one

I got through the turbo, and probably did close to 80 miles. Then it was straight out to run. It was really warm, with a strong sun. Again I eased into it, with a few forced "slower" miles, then without any further effort, my pace slightly increased. The new Garmin watch I wear tells me my pace, distance and heart rate, and really helps with pacing. Like on the bike, I'm constantly telling myself to ease back - Ironman is a long day and you want to be strong after 16 miles of the marathon, not falling apart.

I got through the run, my toenail didn't give me any trouble, and I was pleased with the day. I got back to the house and went into recovery mode: First thing was to get a protein milkshake and a banana. Then I got my legs elevated, then into the shower for cold water treatment on the legs. Then more food and drink, and rest. Oh, and writing this blog too... It'll be an early night tonight, and an easier week next week - it's been a tough two weeks and I am pleased to have come through them.
 

Post-training recovery snack


Post-training recovery dinner: sweet potatoes, cabbage, 
broccoli, chicken breasts, mixed beans, ginger and chilli

Interestingly, I weighed myself a couple of times during the metric Ironman day - I weighed myself just before starting the session, and then again immediately after the session was over. It seems that a good way to lose weight is to train for nearly 6 hours in the heat...


Before...

...and after

There is a lesson to learn here. I lost nearly 3kg despite drinking about 3 litres of fluid and taking a good few gels and bars. This equates to a sweat rate of about 1kg per hour, which is a lot. This means I'll need to take on about litre of fluid per hour at the Ironman, and I know that Ironman day will be a lot longer and tougher.



Taking electrolyte drink and gels non-stop for hours on end makes you feel pukey. You do horrible, pukey, acidic burps, and sometimes you actually do puke, particularly in the later stages. I'll try to limit my consumption of electrolyte drinks and take on plenty of water during the Ironman, which should be easier to stomach. I'll also try to wash down the gels with water rather than electrolyte drink, again hopefully this will limit the pukey feeling.

Anyway, another block of training ticked off, another week down. 4 to go. It's getting close... One final video: I've been watching quite a few YouTube videos of the Kona Ironman while on the turbo trainer, this is the best one I've seen. Looks good... Here's hoping...


No comments:

Post a Comment