Sunday, June 15, 2014

Post 26 - Unchartered territory...

My Twitter account: https://twitter.com/tri4kona2014


It’s been a tough week, and I’ve trained well. I’ve clocked up some good miles, and completed some intense sessions. I’m pleased with how the week has gone. It’s fair to say that I am in good shape, and I’m pushing my limits further than ever before. Into unchartered territory. I'm in a better position now than I thought I would be at the start of the year.


On Monday this week I had a rest day, as usual. After work I had my regular Monday evening trip to the osteopath to get loosened up. I still don’t enjoy these osteopathy sessions, they are physical and painful, but they are a necessary evil. My osteo seems pleased with how things are going. I got home after the appointment and I made a pile of food for the week. Plain pasta and sweet potatoes day in and day out can get a bit tedious, so I’ve started adding ginger, chillis and garlic to my food take make it a bit more exciting. Ginger is supposed to be very good for you. I’ve started eating more alkalising foods too – raisins, cabbage, lots of broccoli, lemons.
 
I thought that in the next few weeks I would try to lose some weight and drop a couple of kilograms. If the photo below is anything to go by, and if the scales are accurate, then maybe I don’t need to… It would have been a sub-66 reading if I hadn’t eaten a banana and had a protein milkshake just before I weighed myself. 
 
 

On Tuesday I was on the turbo for a tough session. This was the first time I’ve ridden hard on the bike since the Icknield 100 mile time trial (a gap of 9 days) and I felt good. My legs felt fresh and strong. I did an hour at a consistent, hard pace, then a short run. Wednesdays are usually easier days and I did a fartlek run – fartlek apparently means “speed play”, so it was a mix of some fast and some slow running. It’s nice to be out in the warm, bright evenings. I have structured my week so that the really tough, longer stuff comes later in the week. This means I am at my most tired at the weekends, when I can sleep as late as I like.


On Thursday evening I was on the turbo trainer doing intervals. I did 1 hour and 40 minutes, with 5 x 10 minute repeats at high intensity. These were tough intervals, particularly the last two, with my heart rate up at 180bpm. Again, I followed this with a short run. By the time I had got showered and had eaten my dinner, it was well past my ideal bedtime – it was about 11pm before I got to sleep, but I knew I only had Friday to get through. Had Monday or Tuesday been a “late” night, then there would still be a whole week to get through before the weekend.


During the week I took delivery of yet another pair of running shoes. These are the ones I will race in at Ironman UK:


On Friday after work I got straight in the pool. I’m lucky that I can leave work at 2pm on Fridays as long as my hours are done, and being in the pool from 2pm to 3pm is good because it’s very quiet and I can usually get a lane to myself. I did a tough 10 x 200m session, each repeat in 3 minutes, with only a 20-second recovery. This was a “critical swim speed” session, at just below threshold pace. There are other “critical swim speed” sessions that I do: 20 x 100 in 1:30 with 10 seconds recovery, 10 x 200m in 3:00 with 20 seconds recovery, 5 x 400m in 6:00 with 40 seconds recovery and 3 x 600m in 9:00 with 60 seconds recovery. They are tough, tough sessions. I generally don’t pace them very well, and usually start off faster than target pace, meaning by the end I am slightly slower than target pace.

I’ve noticed that my legs start to cramp up really badly at the end of these sessions. I don’t tumble turn, and the pain is initiated by turning and pushing off. So I think I will keep an eye on the bigger picture and finish off with the critical swim speed sessions for now. There are other sessions I can do. After my Friday swims, I get on the turbo trainer for some single leg bike drills – pedalling with one leg only to promote a smooth pedal stroke throughout the entire pedal revolution. Pedalling efficiently isn’t just about pushing the pedals; it’s about kicking back at the bottom, pulling up, and kicking over the top, as well as pushing down. I’ve done a single leg session almost every week for the past 5 months, and they have been really beneficial. On Friday night, I cooked for the weekend and got to bed as early as possible.


On Saturday morning, I got up late having slept for 12 hours straight. Bliss! I got on the turbo trainer for a tough 4-hour session, with the intensity increasing throughout. By the end, I was hanging off that bike. Hard work! Then a 30 minute run. The recovery after such a tough session is important – jog to cool down, have a protein shake, banana, lie down for 10 minutes with legs elevated, shower, cold water on the legs, and a good dinner. On Sunday I did hand paddle drills in the pool to strengthen my arms, and a run of 2 hours and 10 minutes. I was a bit apprehensive about this run because my long runs are the “riskiest” sessions I do in terms of the possibility of getting injured, but thankfully I got through it with no problems.


Also, 5 or 6 times per week I stretch, do core strength work and weights. A full programme of stretching, core work and weights takes about 45 minutes. Time management is of the essence…! Last year, I thought I was doing everything I could, but I have really taken it up another level this year. No excuses… If I don’t qualify for Kona, it won’t be through lack of trying. At least I can say I’m doing everything possible.


This all bodes well for race day, which is now only 5 weeks away. However, when you are fitter than you’ve ever been, when you’re in good shape, when you have put so much in, this brings additional pressures and stresses. Highly-trained athletes talk about being on the “knife-edge” or “walking the tightrope” – the fitter you get, the more stressed and depleted the immune system, and the greater the susceptibility to picking up an illness, and indeed an injury. I really, really can’t afford to catch a cold or a cough, get a sore throat, pull a muscle, or get a sore knee. It’s tough. I was really asking for it at the Crisis relays last week (see post 25), but thankfully I seen to have gotten away with it.

Ideally for the next 5 weeks I would train and spend the remainder of the time resting - on a sofa with my feet up, or sleeping. I’d love to know that I’ll get through the next 5 weeks without a hitch. Indeed, I’d pay money to know that I will get through the next 5 weeks and get to the finish line without a hitch. I can take comfort from the fact that I’ve been in a similar position last year, and I got through it. All I can do is keep trying to be as sensible as possible, keep eating well, keep well hydrated, and keep the fingers crossed. I’ve got to get through another tough training week next week, then an easy week, then one more tough week, followed by a 2-week taper. It’s getting close. And yet it’s still so far away. 5 more weeks. Only 2 more tough weeks.

I’ve got a few things to think about in the coming weeks. After the disaster of last year, it’s essential that I am able to eat my own food when at the hotel in the couple of days before the race. I need access to a fridge, microwave and toaster. I put in a quick phone call to the hotel I will stay at during race weekend – they aren’t willing to let me put my own food in their kitchen fridge, and there is no fridge in the room. Hmmmm. I’ll need to work something out. I’ll also need to see about getting the bike serviced again, and having everything checked. It’ll need new tyres and a new chain. In particular the wheels, gears, brakes and bearings will need fully checked. I need to do a couple of wetsuit swims.


While on the turbo trainer, I’ve been watching (amongst other things) a couple of videos of the Ironman World Championships in Kona. It would be amazing to go there and compete. It is the ultimate. It is so tough. It’s been a heck of a journey so far. It will take a heck of an effort at Ironman UK to achieve a qualifying slot, but I believe it’s within reach. This absolutely doesn’t mean it’s a cert and I take nothing for granted. There is so much that has to go right, and my best might end up falling short, but I have a chance. What a prize. The Ironman World Championships. Hawaii. These pictures look pretty good to me…

Swim start, Kona pier/transition area at the top, tropical fish underwater...
 

Biking in the lava fields, being battered by crosswinds
 

The ultimate finish line, Ali'i Drive

Training done this week was as follows:

Monday 9th June 2014: Rest
Tuesday 10th June 2014: 1:10 turbo (1 hour hard), 30 minute run
Wed 11th June 2014: 30 minute fartlek run
Thurs 12th June 2014: 1:40 turbo (with 5 x 10 minutes hard), 30 minute run
Friday 13th June 2014: Swim 3km (with 10 x 200m in 3:00, 20 second recovery), 1:05 turbo (single leg drills: 10 x 2 minutes left leg, 2 mins right leg, 2 mins both legs)
Saturday 14th June 2014: 4:05 turbo, 30 minute run
Sunday 15th June 2014: Swim 3.3km, 130 minute run

Totals: Swim 6.3km, Bike 170 miles, Run 35 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment