Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Post 124 - A pretty social week of Ironman training

This was the second week of a tough two-week block of training. And yes, it was tough. I’m glad it’s over, and I can look forward to an easier recovery week. It was made a bit easier by the fact that it was probably the most social week of Ironman training that I’ve ever done. I look forward to exercising for fun, with people, on a regular basis, in nice surroundings, when I finally call it a day on my “competitive” Ironman “career”.

I had the rest/cooking day as usual on Monday, to make piles of food to put in the fridge and fuel me through the week. I did bike intervals on the turbo trainer on Tuesday evening. 13 sets of 3 minute intervals, with 3 easier minutes in between each tougher interval. I kept up good strength and power for 80 minutes, and could do no more. It wasn’t a bad session, getting up to 350 watts. Some traditionalists or superstitionists would say never do an odd number of intervals as it’s bad luck, and never do 13 intervals, as it’s bad luck. I seemed to survive. Normalised power was 260 watts, average power was 222 watts and average heart rate was 139bpm, although it was pushing 180 by the end of the final interval.

I had some food delivered, lots of gels and bars

On Wednesday I did a long run. 100 minutes. I was joined for almost an hour by Ian, who is training for a mountain marathon. I was just cruising, trying to take as little out of myself as possible, the purpose being that I would just get miles in the legs and time on my feet, increasing my endurance rather than running to increase top-end fitness. I did 20 minutes, then Ian joined me, we ran around all the local parks, he hacked the pace pretty well, around 7:30 per mile, but started to drop off after 50 minutes and because I had to maintain the pace, he peeled off after an hour. But the company was great and it made the miles go a lot faster. I did 13.6 miles, averaging 7:23 per mile and 144bpm.


I got new running shoes this week. I need two identical pairs to get me through to the Ironman: a pair to train in (which will be worn out by the time the Ironman comes around), and a fresh pair to race in. I need the same pair, because I want to race in the same shoes that I train in. For the past couple of seasons I have been racing in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13 shoes. But this season, the 13 model is not available, as they have moved on to 15 and 16 series models. The 15 series is on sale and is cheaper than the newer 16 series, so I went for the 15 series.

I had found in my drawer an old voucher for Run-4-It, the running shop in Aberdeen. I won this voucher at the Garioch 10K in Aberdeenshire last year, but it had just recently expired. I contacted the shop to ask if I could still use the voucher, and was surprised and pleased to get a reply from one of the “old boys” I used to run with in Aberdeen back in 2003-2006. It was good to chat to him and to ask him how things were and how various different people were doing. He ended up putting me in touch with one of the first people in Aberdeen who encouraged my running. I was really pleased about this. Ah the good old days, I miss them. I ended up getting a pair of shoes for £40 that would have retailed for over £100. And got a good bit of chat with some old clubmates. Good result. I have already run in the shoes and they feel great, so I will be buying a second pair soon, and that’ll be all the shoe purchases for this season.



Arrival of these new shoes inspired me to put together some of the shoes I own, and I created some shoe art:




I had a rest day on Thursday, but went to be wrestled and cracked by the osteopath after work. So it wasn’t really a rest. I didn’t look forward to it, and I didn’t enjoy it, and I felt battered after it. But hopefully it is benefitting me and helping to make me looser, even if I don’t feel any obvious differences yet.

On Friday after work I went to the pool. The leisure centre looked suspiciously quiet. I discovered that the pool was to be shut indefinitely, due to a problem with the plant room. This was a massive pain in the ass, as the pool is close to the house and beside a supermarket, and I’ve worked out exactly when to go to ensure it’s not busy so I can get a good, fast swim.

Not swimming was out of the question though, so I took two trains to a different pool, thinking that my planned session would now be impossible. I wanted to do very fast 50m sprint intervals, but there’s no way I could do them if it was in any way busy. I got there and there were too many people in the water to consider swimming fast. My solution in this case was to borrow a float and do some drills – swimming in this was is much slower and therefore I’m not swimming fast to annoy other swimmers, and they are not annoying me by being in the way when I am trying to swim fast and “on the clock”.

I found the big box of floats, and I asked the lifeguard if I could borrow one. “No, sorry…” I was a bit miffed. “But there’s a big box of floats there and no-one is using them, why can I not borrow one?” “Sorry, but we don’t give out floats…” “Well, why are they there then?” She huffed and puffed. I persisted. “What harm is it going to do if I use a float?” “Sorry, for health and safety reasons we don’t give out floats…” Fecking health and safety. Surely a float is a health and safety device?! “Health and safety?! What do you think is going to happen? Is the float going to strangle me or something?!” “Maybe it is, I don’t know…” At this point I was starting to get a bit exasperated to say the least. I thought better of turning the situation into a full-blown argument and walked away floatless.

The pool was warm and I decided on a continuous long swim, of Ironman distance. 3800m. It was so warm that I took a break after 2000m to have a drink and pour some cold water on my head. Then I did another 2000m, and finished off with a short warm-down. That’s the first time I have swam such a distance for a long time. I got some splits on my swim. For the first 1500m I took 24:27. For the next 500m I took 8:20. So for the first 2000m I took 32:47. I had a short break of less than a minute and then did a second 2000m. The first 1500m of this took 25:05, the next 500m took8:34, and the overall second 2000m took 33:39. So my pace dropped slightly, but for an Ironman distance pool swim I’d be looking at bang on 63 minutes at this stage of the season, but hopefully my swim times will come down a bit between now and the summer.

Then it was two trains and a trip to the shop to buy lots of food before I got home, which meant it was a lot later than usual, but I still went and did my 30 minutes of single-leg turbo drills on the bike. By the time this was done, and by the time I had showered and eaten, it was bed time.

On Saturday, it was an early start for a 100 mile bike with Steve and a few of his friends. The forecast was good, so I put on some suncream, which was a smart move. I knew it wouldn’t be a particularly fast ride, but all I wanted from it was to put 100 miles in my legs and to put some long hours in on the saddle. I will work my way up to doing much tougher and faster 100 mile rides. There ended up being 8 of us in the group, and we had two flat tyres within the first 15 miles. While waiting for one of the flat tyres to be fixed, I happened to look round just as two of the guys were appearing around a corner about 50 metres back. My rearward look also happened to coincide with one of them letting rip with a massive fart that could easily have come from an elephant. I think he thought that I was looking back in disgust and alarm, and apologised. I had to tell him not to worry. It’s not like I’ve never farted…

The old problem (well, I say old problem, it was only my third group ride) arose of what to do when riding in a group if you need to stop and go. In the space of an hour, I went from sort of needing to go, to really needing to go, to wondering if I should just piss myself but then realising that everyone would notice and it would spray all over whoever was behind me and I’d end up stinking of piss, to bladder-bursting-I-really-need-to-go-now-or-else-I’ll-do-myself-long-term-harm… so I had to peel off from the back of the group, water the flowers at high pressure and speed, and get back on the bike to catch the group again. Cycling is much simpler solo or with one other…

I knew that the plan was to cycle about 50 miles out to a pub and have a quick stop, I assumed for a Mars bar and a quick refill of the bottles. Ho wrong was I? We ended up spending about an hour and a half, eating what could easily have passed for a Sunday dinner and dessert. It was great, sitting outside in the sun, eating and drinking. The peace was interrupted when one of the bikes, which was pretty expensive-looking, and propped up against a railing on a slight downhill incline, suddenly started rolling off down the incline. Had it continued to roll, it would have fallen over and probably been damaged. But like a flash, its owner had spotted it and had literally dived off his chair, sending the chair and drinks flying, he had somehow got his arm through the railing and had somehow managed to grab the rear fork of his bike, stopping it from merrily rolling down the hill and merrily crashing in a heap. Football fans will understand that Gordon Banks’s save is widely regarded as the greatest save in history. But I think I’ve just seen something even more spectacular. How he got to that bike and kept it upright, I do not know.


Sunday ride snack/dinner/dessert venue

The time came to leave the pub and we got on our bikes and burped and farted our way back towards home. The apple and blueberry crumble had been the choice of many in the group for dessert, and the noises that we were producing as a result of its excessive consumption were quickly christened the “crumble rumbles…” When Steve and I peeled off from the group to head for the house, I felt like a bit of hard riding, so poor Steve was hanging onto my rear wheel for dear life, trying to keep in the slipstream. I don’t think he was best pleased when I insisted that we lap around the block until our Garmins read 100 miles… And, given the redness of Steve’s nose, I was glad I’d used suncream…

Mentally, that was the two-week training block over, even though I still had to swim the next day. The next day was a bank holiday and I was off work and it was only a swim. I’d survive. I allowed myself a couple of pints of Guinness, and we were out for dinner that evening. Burger, chips and more drink. A bit of a release. Well, why not? I can put it down to strategy. I have noticed that my weight has come down to 68kg over the past couple of weeks and so I need to make sure I keep up my weight and strength.

Strategic food and drink. And the second time in the space of about 6 hours I had eaten out...

The next day I had a good long sleep in, and went to the swimming pool with Elise. Again it was great to have a bit of company, and thankfully the pool wasn’t busy so we had the whole fast lane pretty much to ourselves. I did 2.6km of drills with the hand paddles, leg/arm floats and rubber band. The pool had starter blocks at the deep end. I haven’t dived off a starting block for ages. Elise dived. Looked pretty good. Looked easy. I tried. Standing up on the blocks, you are pretty high above the water. I dived in, thinking it would be fine. Flop. Not good. It hurt. Ouch. Elise makes tumble turning look easy too. I’ve half-heartedly tried to learn how to tumble turn, but have never really committed to doing it well. I tried a few after my flop off the block. They were pitiful. But thankfully this is not a skill I need for triathlons.

And that was a tough two-week block done. 11 more weeks and it will all be over.

Training done this week was as follows:

Mon 25 April: Rest
Tue 26 April: 1:20 turbo (13 x 3mins hard/3mins easy)
Wed 27 April: 100 minute run
Thu 28 April: Rest
Fri 29 April: Swim 4.1k, 30 minute turbo (single leg drills, 3 x 3mins R/L/B)
Sat 30 April: 40 minute fartlek run
Sun 1 May: 100 mile bike
Mon 2 May: Swim 2.6km (250m drills)

Totals: Swim 6.7k, Bike 140 miles, Run 19 miles.


I hate London so much. I can't wait to leave. I will never go back. Don't go to London. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment