Thursday, December 10, 2015

Post 105 - Twin turbos

I recently did a joint turbo session with Steve (housemate). When I first wrote to Steve and Natalie via the internet about moving into their house, I wrote a massive spiel about training, and bikes, and keeping the bikes indoors under lock and key, and turbo training indoors. These are issues that very few people have to worry about, and issues that probably don’t come up very often in landlord-world. Steve and Natalie, being who they are and doing what they do, understood all this bike and turbo trainer stuff perfectly, and basically their reply to my original message was “welcome to our world, we turbo train in the kitchen, when can you move in?!”

I’ve been almost two years in their house now (time flies) and in those two years, I have seen Steve turbo training only a few times in the kitchen. I have never seen Natalie turbo training in the kitchen. And I have never turbo trained in the kitchen. I’ve always turbo trained in my room.

Anyway, one particular evening after work I said to Steve, “Let’s do a turbo session together.” After a bit of persuasion and goading, he agreed and we got the turbo trainers and bikes set up, side by side, in front of the TV in the kitchen. No small job, with having to delicately manoeuvre my triathlon bike and turbo trainer out of my room, across the landing, down the stairs, through the hall and into the kitchen without so much as touching a wall. This could be a Crystal Maze game…

I suggested we do a 30-minute double burn-off. Short and sweet. I’ve done this session quite a few times in my room. You start off in the lowest gear, spinning at about 120 watts (very easy). Then every minute, you change into a higher gear, so it gets gradually and progressively tougher. After ten minutes you are going at maybe 300 watts (hard enough). Then you drop into an easier gear again for 5 minutes to allow yourself to recover. Then you go onto the big front chainring, and go through the 10-minute cycle again, except this time the ten-minute cycle starts at 200+ watts and ends at well over 400 watts (extremely hard, and even worse on a turbo trainer than out on the road). I’ve never been able to do the final minute of this session. I’ve always had to have an easier minute before I hammer the final minute. It is a tough, tough session, especially the last 5 minutes.

Twin turbos, ready to rock

I did a few stretches. We got changed into our cycling gear (in our separate rooms, we're not that close!) and I threw on a t-shirt to keep me warm before I started. We remembered to put a fan in front of the bikes to try to keep us cool when pedalling hard. Then, just before we were about to start, in walked Ian and his girlfriend Lorraine. Ian moved into the house a couple of months ago. A young guy like us, chilled out, everything you could want in a housemate. I had only met his girlfriend briefly on a couple of occasions so can’t claim to know her too well, and she probably wouldn’t claim to know us too well either.

Anyway, Ian and Lorraine were planning on making dinner (in the kitchen, where the bikes were ready to go) and then obviously eating dinner (in the kitchen, where the bikes were ready to go). Ian knows we train, and he’s heard me on the bike in my room. I don’t know what he’d told Lorraine about the house and housemates…

We just put the fan on full blast, jumped onto the bikes and got going, and Lorraine was probably thinking, “What the heck sort of crackpot house is this?!” Poor girl. I usually take my t-shirt off on the turbo but decided maybe I’d keep it on this time around. And within a few minutes we were hammering quite hard, breathing heavily, the turbos were humming away and I was shouting out every minute to go up a level. Towels were on hand to periodically mop up sweat. We got through the first ten minutes, and then eased off as planned. Ian and Lorraine were by now sitting at the table, eating dinner. Maybe they’d thought that they’d have a nice quiet dinner while watching Masterchef or something. Instead they had a fine view of our two sweaty arses and jackhammering legs.

The second ten minutes started. The tough ten minutes. After 5 or 6 minutes of gradually cranking it up, I was hitting my limit. There wasn’t as much cooling as usual. In my room, the fan is right in my face and the window is open. Here in the kitchen we were sharing a fan, there was no open window, and I had a t-shirt on. Talk about hot and sweaty. Talk about a nice quiet dinner in front of the TV. Talk about a bloody hard last couple of minutes. I got 9 minutes into the final 10, and had to ease off again. By “ease off”, I mean pretty much collapse gasping over the bike at 184 heartbeats per minute with lactate burning my legs. Recovery…

60 seconds passed in what seemed like about 5 seconds (it’s incomprehensible how time distorts when on the turbo trainer) and then I really went for it for the final minute, absolutely maximal. Everything sounded like it was just going to melt down, lift off, explode, or go on fire. The turbo trainer was churning away, I was grunting and growling like a crazed animal, and a nice quiet dinner was in progress literally just behind.

Session over. 5 or 10 minutes later I had cooled down and calmed down enough to jump off the bike. So had Steve. “Hi Lorraine” we said, with a sort of sheepishly satisfied post-exercise half-grin. Steve and I had some water and bananas while standing dripping with sweat in our flattering little lycra shorties, and we all had a bit of a chat as if this was the most normal thing in the world. And to us, it is the most normal thing in the world.

I went and showered, and then got dinner. A day or two later I got chatting to Ian. “I literally… could… not… believe… that the first time you have Lorraine over for dinner is the first time Steve and I decide to turbo train in the kitchen!” He just laughed. “We never turbo train in the kitchen, I’ve been in this house nearly two years and I’ve never turbo trained in the kitchen, and Steve has hardly ever turbo trained in the kitchen either, Natalie has definitely never turbo trained in the kitchen…” He laughed again, and said “No, no, no, don’t worry, really it wasn’t a problem…” I said, “Yeah, I know, but the timing of it, she must have been wondering what the hell goes on in this house!”

I said to Ian that if they had been back 20 or 30 minutes earlier, we probably wouldn’t even have bothered with the joint kitchen turbo session. I would have trained in my room and Steve wouldn’t have been too disappointed either, given the persuasion that was necessary. But as it was, we were all set up and ready to go. “No, no, of course you should have done it, we didn’t mind in the slightest.” Steve and I knew deep down that they wouldn’t have minded, but it was just a funny sort of situation.

Twin turbo-ing, with spectators dining 6 feet away. Surely this doesn’t happen very often…? 

No comments:

Post a Comment