Sunday, March 9, 2014

Post 12 - Come on back...

Come on back, stop being sore…. or come on back to Aberdeen?

This has been a frustrating week. It was intended to be an easy week, coming off a tough five weeks. I flew to Aberdeen on Sunday night for another work trip, and intended to rest on Monday, have an easy run-out with Metro Aberdeen Running Club on Tuesday night, rest/fly back to London on Wednesday, have a short easy turbo/run on Thursday night, rest on Friday, do a ParkRun on Saturday, and have an easy swim on Sunday, before starting into another tough training block the following week.

I lived in Aberdeen for about 18 months and I really enjoyed it there. If I was told that I would live and work there for the next twenty years, I’d settle for that. I’d even be very happy with that. Anyway, despite this trip being only 3 nights, I brought a wheelie case containing my training gear, my food supplements, and all the work-related items I needed. Again, I put a lot of effort into minimising my chances of picking up a cold or an illness, but it’s still frustrating to be put into non-ideal situations which are beyond my control.

Anyway, Monday went according to plan and I had an easy rest day. I even treated my muscles to a hot bath in the hotel. I went down to the running club on Tuesday night and saw a couple of familiar faces, I had a good chat with my first coach, met some new people, and was somewhat dismayed to find that the session wasn’t going to be the usual 9-10 mile run that I could slowly run around. Instead the session was 9 x 800m repetitions – not what I wanted to do. My philosophy for Ironman running training is not to run sessions like this, as there is no need and they are too risky in terms of getting injured. Nevertheless, I did the session, and although it was tough, I ran well and it was good to run with Metro again. I munched down a protein bar straight after the session and although my legs were sore and tight after it, I felt like I had gotten away with it. Indeed, coming off this session I felt like I was in shape to run 10K in under 33 minutes and started to think about trying to find a 10K race to do in the next month or two.

 My Metro running jacket
I’ve had this jacket for ten years now. It used to be totally waterproof and fluorescent yellow, but now it is totally permeable and a faded, translucent washed-out colour. It has clocked up a lot of miles of running and cycling, and has also clocked up a lot of airmiles, having been worn all over the world. It has also clocked up a lot of washing machine spins, which is probably why it isn’t waterproof and fluorescent any more…

On Wednesday I flew back to London and had to carry my case up and down several flights of stairs. I went to bed on Wednesday night feeling like I had “survived” the Aberdeen trip – I had kept my discipline, kept my diet under control, seemed not to have picked up any colds or bugs, and I seemed to have gotten away with the tough run on Tuesday night.

Things started to derail on Thursday morning when I couldn’t bend over to get my porridge out of the low cupboard and when I couldn’t bend over to put socks and shoes on. My back felt tight and it seemed like it was going to be another horrible episode of back pain. I went to work and it loosened slightly as I began to move. After a couple of hours at work, I tried to stand up to go to the toilet and I realised I was in big trouble when I couldn’t get out of my seat. My back had completely seized up, I was really struggling to move and in excruciating pain. Having just recently gotten over a bout of back pain, I really didn’t need a repeat.

Lunchtime was spent phoning round local chiropractors and osteopaths to see if anyone had available appointments at short notice. Later that afternoon, I somehow shuffled to my emergency appointment and was fairly shocked to see in a full-length mirror just how crookedly I was standing. My back had locked and the muscles were totally rigid, and after five attempts to free it up, the osteopath called it quits as he felt he was doing more damage than good. He said it was a very bad case. There wasn’t much more he could do other than advise anti-inflammatories, stretching, ice and heat treatments, and he suggested I return when the back had loosened slightly. He could then perform a full diagnosis and treatment. He suggested that perhaps my problem from earlier this year hadn’t been properly cured and that he would be able to tell me more when my rigid muscles had loosened. I feared another 3 or 4 weeks of debilitating and restrictive back pain, hugely compromising training.

I went back to work, and stayed late to make up the hours lost at the osteopath. By the time I had struggled home it was nearly bedtime and I couldn’t fathom how I would cook anything as I couldn’t bend over or reach out. So, disgusted with myself, I resorted to a microwave roast chicken dinner. The cooking instructions told me to remove the stuffing ball from the tray, heat for six minutes, place the stuffing ball back into the tray, and heat for a further six minutes. The stuffing ball looked like a pickled testicle, and to say it also tasted like a picked testicle would probably be an insult to picked testicles. The rest of the “dinner” was about as appealing and tasty as a plate of damp sawdust. Then I went to bed and (honestly!) had a nightmare about having a rear wheel flat tyre during the Ironman. A rear flat tyre will ruin my race because of the integrated hidden rear brakes, rear derailleur, and valve extenders. It’s a time-consuming and stressful job to fix a rear flat tyre at the best of times, never mind under race conditions.

It’s fair to say that Thursday was a bad day, and a big contrast from feeling so good at the end of last week.

Friday dawned and the back felt slightly easier. I kept taking the anti-inflammatories and did some stretching exercises. I used ice and heat on my back, and went to bed early on Friday night, sleeping for 13 hours. Saturday dawned and it felt easier again and I continued with the stretching, ice and heat treatments.


My heat pack: This goes in the microwave for 3 minutes, and then it goes on whatever part of me hurts, and theoretically it relieves pain. It's very versatile: it can also be frozen and used to ice painful areas too.
 
I spun the bike on the turbo trainer for 30 minutes on Saturday evening and got away with it. Then I had dinner with my housemates and in a lapse of self-discipline stayed up until 3am drinking wine (my first drink for 4 months) and eating cake with Rolo yogurt desserts (my first, second and third desserts for 4 months). Yes, I am ashamed to say I had three Rolo yogurt desserts. Diet-wise, this was a terrible week: wine, Rolo yogurt desserts, and a horrible microwave roast chicken “dinner”. When combined with the sore back, it has been a bad week. And this should have been an easy week…

Today I swam an easy 3K and tomorrow I will see the osteopath again and hopefully he will actually be able to cure my problem and get my back sorted. So hopefully it won’t turn into another 3 or 4 weeks of agony like last time.

The frustrating thing is that I have no idea why it happened all of a sudden. There was no trigger. It just got bad overnight, and got very bad between 8am and 10am at work. I can speculate that the 9 x 800m run on Tuesday night was too tough a session and one run too many after such a tough five weeks. I can speculate that standing around in Aberdeen didn’t do my back any good. I can speculate that carrying my case up and down stairs and on and off public transport didn’t do my back any good. I can speculate that maybe I slept awkwardly on it. I can speculate that a combination of all of these things was too much for my back. These are the margins and this is how highly-strung my body seems to be.

That said, it does seem like my back is a lot easier now than it was on Thursday and hopefully my osteopath will put it right tomorrow and I can get back into another training block from Tuesday. Hopefully next week can’t be any worse than this week.

On the plus side, Ireland won their 6 Nations rugby match against Italy and today the temperature hit 20oC, the warmest day of the year so far, and I hope we are through the winter.

Never give up…

Training this week as follows:

Monday 3rd March: Rest
Tuesday 4th March: Run 9 x 800m (approx.): 2:32, 2:17, 2:15, 2:15, 2:14, 2:14, 2:17, 2:15, 2:20 (1:20 recovery)
Wed 5th March: Rest
Thurs 6th March: Rest
Friday 7th March: Rest
Saturday 8th March: 30 minute turbo
Sunday 9th March: Swim 3K

No comments:

Post a Comment