Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Post 1 - Introduction

Welcome to my blog. Tri4Kona2014. But what exactly does this mean? Well, I spent about 30 seconds thinking about what sort of witty title I would give this blog, and Tri4Kona2014 was the best I could come up with...

"Tri" is short for Triathlon. I do triathlons. Specifically, I do Ironman triathlons. Swimming 3.8km, cycling 180km, and running a marathon, all in one go. As fast as possible. "Tri" is also a play on words, and is pronounced the same way as "try".

 
The Ironman logo

"4" is a number. Obviously. But why the number four, when "Tri" implies three, and when a triathlon features the 3 disciplines of swimming, cycling and running? First of all, to digress a little bit, I would consider that there are more than three disciplines in Ironman triathlon. Yes, you've got swimming, you've got cycling, and you've got running. You also have resting/recovering, nutrition, hydration, stretching, massage, core work, weights, equipment maintenance. And so on. But all these disciplines add up to a lot more than 4, so why the number 4? Well, I am preparing for my 4th Ironman triathlon on Sunday 20th July 2014, and in the coming weeks and months I will be blogging about my training, my experiences, trials, tribulations, highs and lows. And whatever else comes to mind that is triathlon-related. "4" is also a play on words, and is pronounced the same way as "for".

The "Kona" bit...? What is Kona? Kona is on Hawaii. On the Big Island. Kona is where Ironman triathlon was born, back in the 1970s. Now, every October, the Ironman triathlon World Championships are held in Kona. Arguably, the word "Kona" is the pinnacle of triathlon. The word "Kona" is what Ironman triathletes dream of. To go to Kona, you have to qualify. There are maybe 20 to 30 or so Ironman races around the world at which you can race and attempt to gain a Kona qualifying "slot". Achieving Kona qualification isn't easy, and explaining the slot allocation process is too complex for this introduction. Suffice to say, for me to achieve a Kona slot will require me to be competing and finishing at the sharp end of Ironman UK 2014. I believe I can achieve this, but I know it will not be easy and I know there are no guarantees. I will try my absolute best. No stone unturned. And hopefully no regrets.

The "2014" bit of the blog title wasn't really my choice - "Tri4Kona" wasn't available as a blog name, so I had to throw in the "2014" as well. All I'll say on this is that it's hard to believe it is 2014....

So, there you go. "Tri4Kona2014". Tri. Triathlon. Ironman. Try. Try. Try. 4. My 4th Ironman. For. Try for Kona. 2014. That is what 30 seconds of thinking can produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment